Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Where are you, Lord?

 

A well-known phone carrier was famous for its mantra of "Can you hear me now?"

The mobile phone user wanted to make sure he is heard from any location, at any time, in any situation.  Connection is the key to success.

Suppose you are on a call with your spouse and they begin to fade out.  It’s hard to hear them – you might only catch every other word. Their voice might grow faint and you may hear static in the background. You frantically move from room to room in hopes that the signal with grow stronger.

Sometimes you are in a place with God where your signal is weak and your connection is wavering.  

The fault is not at God’s end, but at yours.  You've moved out of range and now you no longer hear Him clearly. “Where are you, God?” 

Now go back in time with me… Remember playing with two cans and a string when you were little – believing you were in an urgent conversation with your sister or best friend?  Sure, you could hear alright, but every now and then you wondered if what you said actually got to the ear of whoever was on the receiving end.  The science says it works, but you had your doubts.


Dr. David Jeremiah [Turning Point Magazine] puts it this way: 
 
  Whenever we pray, God is on the other end of the line with His ear to the can, hearing every word and listening to every vibration of our voices.  He hears even the faintest sigh.  The prophet Daniel prayed regularly all his life and history was changed.  The apostle Paul prayed, and cities were opened to the Gospel.  Hannah prayed and God lifted her burden.

  If you’re in anguish or distress, you don’t need two cans and a string.  Two bent knees and a broken heart will do just fine.


So, how can you be sure you’re being heard?  What can you do from your end to keep the connection intact?  Here are four simple things:

  1.      Keep the line open.  (confession, repentance, devotion)
  2.     Minimize distractions  (gadgets, TV, kids and pets)
  3.      Focus on God  (Bible, devotions, praise music)
  4.      Don’t lose hope while you wait.  (prayer)

I have personally been going through a season of wondering if I am hearing clearly from God or not. You know what I mean…You usually find yourself asking at least one of these questions out of frustration:

            “Lord, why don't you answer me?”
            "Jesus, where are you?"
            “Help me hear Your voice, Lord.”

I know intellectually that God is still where He has always been. The disconnection is at my end - not His!

I’m the one who has moved into the “dead zone” where the signal is faint at best, or non-existent at worst. Then I find myself rehearsing in my mind those things which might have caused the “dropped call”



One of my favorite verses is Psalm 139:23-24, “Search me, O God, and know my hear; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting.”  Verses 1-4 give me pause to reflect on the fact that though I have interfered with the connection – God in His great mercy recognizes my human limitations and knows me intimately.  He comprehends my thoughts and my actions before I do.  His Spirit invites me to re-connect on a stronger signal.

I am glad God is still interested in having a dialog with me.  I often find myself taking a rogue thought captive and redirecting it to the Lord in the form of a prayer and praise.  I am determined to keep my line of communication open with Him despite my shortcomings and failures.

Do you have a tried and true method of staying connected to the Lord?  What advice can you share with others on how to maintain a strong signal through the constant static of life?



Now, more than ever - you need to hear Him clearly!

I am a sheep of the Lord’s pasture.  I listen for His voice.  I follow Him closely.


Yes Lord - I've got 5 bars now!




Deborah is the author of a Christian non-fiction book titled “Mission Possible”. It was written for women who love the Lord Jesus, but their spouse doesn’t share their passion.  It will encourage and challenge the reader to embrace God’s promises for their spouse and future together. Visit  http://www.spirituallyunevenmarriage.com

If you have been encouraged by this post - please take time to share it with others.



Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Feed Shark