Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Is that an Oasis I see or just a Mirage?

courtesy  Photocrave.net 
When you find yourself roaming the wilderness or wandering in the desert, don't you normally seek out an oasis?

So why do we act as though one doesn't exist? Do we walk by faith and not by sight?  Don't we gravitate 'by default' towards ease and comfort? Does not our Heavenly Father encourage us in His Word to seek refreshment and reinvigorate ourselves in His Presence?

Refresh:  to restore strength; to revive; to replenish and renew supply.

When you are living in an unequally-yoked marriage, there will be times of weariness and discouragement.  Day to day interaction with someone who is not governed by God’s Spirit can begin to ‘chip away’ at your Christian character.  You often wrestle with yourself over a harsh word spoken, or perhaps you were misunderstood and you now harbor resentment.

I can tell you there were times when I literally felt as though I would scream out loud if I couldn't hand over to God my fickle feelings or raging emotions.  On one occasion I remember going into the bathroom, shutting the door behind me, and just gritting my teeth and shaking my head in disgust at the anger welling up inside of me.  I was emotionally out of control

I am a student of Satan’s trickery and deception.  I keep my spiritual antenna up when I am in a heated discussion with my husband, because I know the enemy would love for me to say something horrid or disrespect him by marginalizing his opinion.  I find myself thinking, “This is so unfair, Lord! I’m tired of biting my tongue all the time!”

But lately – I have found myself in the wilderness of uncertainty and the desert of uneasiness. I am increasingly thirsty for something I am not getting in my marriage.  I crave spiritual intimacy.  I long for a oneness that only comes from sharing God things.  I have become parched in my soul…

What would you do in this situation?  Do you know where to go for help?

Here is the great news – Jesus is the Living Water (John 4:13-14).  Ephesians 5:26 tells us that God sanctifies and washes us by the water of His Word.  We are refreshed and revived as His life-giving Spirit cleanses our hearts and minds. 

Image credit: 123RF Stock Photo

What does all of this have to do with me and my thirsty soul?  Simply put… Everything.  I must take the time to find my oasis.  I must force myself to rest and seek solitude with my Savior.  I need to separate myself from the world and its influence long enough to refresh myself in Him.

Jeremiah passionately preached that the people had forsaken their God, the fountain of living waters (Jeremiah 2:13).  He also lamented that when they tried to fabricate their own vessels [cisterns], they were inadequate and broken.  

An earthly jar fashioned by man simply cannot contain a heavenly commodity designed by God.

Isaiah tells us that Israel will be comforted by God’s great power of restoration.  Isaiah 43:19-20 declares how God will cut through the wilderness and provide life-saving water to His chosen.  Streams in the desert will spring forth, and rivers will flow unhindered.  In Chapter 44 Isaiah says, “For I [God] will pour water on him who is thirsty, and floods on the dry ground; I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, and My blessing on your offspring.”

God will always provide in miraculous ways when we are no longer able to by means of our own ability.

Moses discovered God’s faithfulness and provision in the Wilderness of Shur, the very place where Hagar and Ishmael lingered after leaving Abraham’s household (Genesis 16:7-14).  Often God’s greatest miracles are seen in the realm of physical impossibilities.  He uses bitter, lifeless things to bring forth life-giving refreshment. 

Do you have something in your spiritually mismatched marriage that needs refreshing?  Is there an attitude or unsettled feeling that you desire relief from?  How have you handled a wilderness experience in your home?

I am discovering that ‘pressing into’ Jesus – the Word of Life - will indeed enrich my life and restore my strength to continue my journey.  What about you?








Deborah is the author of a Christian non-fiction book titled “Mission Possible”. It is written for women who love the Lord Jesus, but their spouse doesn’t share their passion.  It will encourage and challenge the reader to embrace God’s promises for their spouse and future together. 

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Feed Shark