Thursday, November 12, 2020

Thankful in Everything...

 The holidays are fast approaching.  Are you feeling lonely at home - even amongst your family?  Do you wrestle with a sadness and disconnect during a time when commercials and advertisements portray unity and happiness?  Do you begin to fantasize about having what you perceive others have all around you?  What do you do with all those conflicting feelings and thoughts?

We all remember the classic Norman Rockwell painting of Thanksgiving Dinner.  It’s the quintessential portrait of the all American family gathered for a special meal and fellowship. Sometimes life doesn’t imitate art…

During this pandemic - life is not normal... at least not the way it used to be... 

There will most likely be hesitation to gather under one roof for a large sit-down dinner. We probably won't have multi-generational family time like we did in years past...

There are new protocols for sanitation, social distancing, food preparation and meal sharing guidelines.
One thing is certain -  nothing remains the same. It is for a season...

When you’re in an unequally yoked marriage, you will have days where you feel miserable and venerable.  There will always be drama. You may feel isolated and out-of-sorts. We all can recall times when we’ve just felt alone - but you don't need to let that dictate how you respond to others around you.




When I catch myself thinking thoughts that are not God honoring or when I wallow in self pity – I look up and acknowledge to God that I need help – fast!  What does He reveal to me in my moments of sorrow and helplessness?

  •  He reminds me that I have a loving and devoted husband, even though he has not yet given his life to Christ.
  • He reminds me that Hollywood and advertisers would have me believe that every day is to be filled with roses and smiles and dreams come true.
  •  He reminds me that feelings last for a time, but commitment is everlasting.
  •  He reminds me that I tend to look at other marriages through “rose-colored glasses”.
  •  He reminds me that nothing affects His love for me – not even my doubt.

In Scripture, when David was ruthlessly pursued by King Saul, he found solace and peace in God. David wrote Psalm 27 during that time of anticipation, and verses 13-14 express his steadfast faith in God:  "I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!"


Some of my favorite verses that express a spirit of thanksgiving are:

Psalm 107:1
Psalm 95:2-3
Colossians 3:16
Psalm 28:7
II Corinthians 2:14
Psalm 30:12
Psalm 75:1
Philippians 4:6
Psalm 100:4


Remember - true thanksgiving emits from a grateful heart. 

Even in turbulent times we can have a peace that surpasses understanding. 
As the storm rages above, there is a deep calm beneath the breaking waves...



Take a fresh inventory of your blessings and face the holidays with a renewed vigor and confidence, knowing that your Heavenly Father delights in you.






Deborah is the author of a Christian non-fiction book titled “Mission Possible”. It was written for women who love the Lord Jesus, but their spouse doesn’t share their passion.  It will encourage and challenge the reader to embrace God’s promises for their spouse and future together. 

Visit  http://www.spirituallyunevenmarriage.com


If you have been encouraged by this post - please take time to share it with others.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Feed Shark