Thursday, June 16, 2011

Daddy's Little Girl

                                      
                          I am His little Princess
He lifts me up on His shoulders
He kisses my boo boos
He gives me a big bear hug
He has tea and cookies with me
He gently places a ladybug in my hand
He offers his wisdom and guidance
He wipes away my tears
He presents me to my betrothed
I dance to a waltz with him


This Father’s Day I was reminiscing about my Dad when I was much younger.  I did not grow up in a traditional Christian home.  My mother believed in God, but my father wasn’t interested.  Although I attended “church” on occasion – I didn’t meet the Lord Jesus Christ until I was 33 yrs. old, and the mother of a toddler.  Nonetheless, my Dad was a wonderful father.

He was a career US Naval aviator and later on taught high school.  He was a great role model growing up.  He gladly helped my Mom out around the house, played hide and seek outside with my sister and I, and he read us stories at bedtime when we were little.  I vividly remember marching around our living-room overseas in our pajamas, singing to Mitch Miller’s “The Yellow Rose of Texas” (on a record player console) as we paraded down the hallway for my Mom to see.  

I remember my sister and I dressed up as a doctor and nurse with our little bags – tending to our Dad’s “broken arm” and “high fever”.   He taught me to have the confidence to ride solo on my first bike ride without training wheels.  He tutored me in math, went over my spelling words with me, and helped me practice my role in a school play (pretending to be the male part).  He has always been my greatest supporter and cheerleader in life.  I even recall the joy in his eyes as he held his first great-granddaughter, who was just a day old at the time.


As children of the Living God, we have the perfect Heavenly Father. When Jesus spoke to the crowds about worry, wealth and judging, He began His teaching on the topic of asking and giving.  In Matthew 7:9-11 Jesus states, “Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent?   If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!”  

The Apostle Paul writes to us in Romans 8:14-15 about our adoption as sons (and daughters) of God.  He says, “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, ‘Abba, Father’.”  In Galatians 4:6 Paul says, “And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, ‘Abba, Father!’”  The Aramaic word “Abba” is a term of endearment for Father.  We have all the privileges given to us as the adopted children of the Most High God.  He loves us and cares for us as His children in a most tender and compassionate way.

In I Thessalonians 2:10-12, Paul is addressing the church about the tenderness with which he and others nurtured the congregation during its infancy.  He says, “You are witnesses, and God also, how devoutly and justly and blamelessly we behaved ourselves among you who believe; as you know how we exhorted, and comforted, and charged every one of you, as a father does his own children, that you would have a walk worthy of God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory.” 

Although your relationship with your earthly Daddy might not have been ideal – your Heavenly Father wants the best for His children.  Your Heavenly Father longs to love you, provide for, and protect you.  He will never leave or forsake you. He offers you wisdom, discernment and correction. He is merciful and gentle. He delights in you.  You can trust Him.  He is the perfect parent now and forever.




 This is a great photo of my Dad holding his great-granddaughter - 
born October 30th 2009 (thus the pumpkin outfit)








Deborah is the author of a Christian non-fiction book titled “Mission Possible”.  It is written for women who love the Lord Jesus, but their spouse doesn’t share their passion.  It will encourage and challenge the reader to embrace God’s promises for their spouse and future together. 

 

Share/Bookmark

9 comments:

  1. Just the words I needed today, a reminder we are God's children and He will take care of us. And besides that, it is a wonderful testimony to your own father. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cecilia - you bless me with your comments! :) I am blessed to have such a great Dad. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Martha - I appreciate your kind words! God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet, Deborah, and so true...He IS the perfect Parent! Such a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you liked it Lynn - it's a honor to post about my Dad... Be blessed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a lovely blog. Always nice to meet fellow Christian bloggers. I'm glad you have such a blog out there for women unevenly yoked. I haven't seen a blog like this before but it is certainly needed.
    I review books both Christian and secular (but nothing offensive)
    Here's the link to my Christian book reviews. Blessings!
    http://sharonhenning.blogspot.com/search/label/Book%20Reviews%20Christian%20Living

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the visit and comment Sharon! I'll be sure to visit yours as well! Be blessed...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi DL thanks for visiting back. You asked if I review nonfiction. I answered on my blog but I'll answer here as well. I mostly review Christian nonfiction. Let me know if you'd like anything reviewed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Feed Shark