Sunday, October 14, 2012

Grandma...pick me up ---

Emotions are running high and a melt-down occurs. Or maybe they're just tired and cranky as they slide to the ground in a puddle. They stand there looking at you with their arms extended upwards.

My husband and I have had the pleasure of keeping our little granddaughter overnight at least once every weekend.  At three years old she is very demonstrative and animated.  She’s learning to assert herself more and has a keen sense of the dramatic – especially when she reacts to situations she cannot control.

One of the motions that she frequently displays is to reach up and say, “Grandma… pick me up---“

What a great spiritual truth we find in that expression - complete surrender.  Let go and let God is a familiar saying.  

What does the “raised arms” mean while they’re extended?  It means I am at a loss for what to do.  It means I have come to the end of myself.  It means I recognize that God has the answer for my shortfall.

Back to my little granddaughter… when she stands there, looking up at me and shrieking “Pick me up, Grandma!”, she is acknowledging her venerability and usually one of these things:

§  She is hungry
§  She is tired
§  She is sick
§  She is afraid

In Jesus’ day, Jewish children often called out using the endearing term Abba, which is the Aramaic form of  “father”. 

When we are at the end of ourselves, our Heavenly Daddy awaits our outreach.  When our strength fails us, He is there to pick us up.  We simply need to reach up in faith.

In Mark 14:36 Jesus expressed absolute trust in His Father when He said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible for You.”  This was during an intense period of prayer and seeking God’s will for Himself in the Garden of Gathsemane, which means “olive press”.  Think of the word-picture associated with the crushing weight of the world’s sin as the hour of His death approached.

When a toddler reaches for their earthly Daddy, we know that they have confidence that they will be lifted into the safety of loving arms.  I realize this might not be the case for some, but for illustration purposes, we can visualize the tender scenario. How much more so when we are comforted by our Heavenly Father!  



Once my granddaughter is in my embrace, she settles down and simply rests her head on my shoulder.  She no longer struggles – but simply releases herself to me.  She is safe… she is resting.  She is emptied of all her inner turmoil – often lying limp.  I love that feeling of caring for her and taking on the responsibility of her well-being – even if it is just for a moment.

I imagine God feels much the same way when we release all to Him.  Realizing that our Abba indeed delights in our ceasing to strive towards an end that is wrong for us, or when we simply release our will to His greater plans.

The Apostle Paul speaks of our adoption into God’s family with the same loving term.  Romans 8:15 tells us, “For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”  Paul knew that adoption gave inherent rights to those who were being brought into a family – one of which was the right of inheritance as a bona fide child. This point is lovingly expressed in verse 17 as we are told we are joint heirs with Christ.

Then in Galatians 4:6 he says, “And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!”  What a beautiful promise to the believer, and encouragement to those who cry out to God from a sincere heart.


Have you reached out to your Abba?  Do you feel the security of His loving arms around you?  I’ll end with this familiar children’s song…

Jesus loves me this I know
For the Bible tells me so
Little ones to Him belong
They are weak, but He is strong








Deborah is the author of a Christian non-fiction book titled “Mission Possible”.  It is written for women who love the Lord Jesus, but their spouse doesn’t share their passion.  It will encourage and challenge the reader to embrace God’s promises for their spouse and future together.  



Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yes...Abba Father, pick me up! (Great piece. Thank you blessing me both as a child of the Risen King, and as a grandmother.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Merrie - thanks for stopping by! Amen to our Heavenly Father's embrace! God is indeed our Abba :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Feed Shark