About The Author

My photo

Daughter of the King - born from above in 1989.

Deborah grew up in a military family and moved to Florida in the early 1970's.  She began her journey of creative writing soon after coming to know Jesus as her personal Savior. Her primary goal is to share her personal testimony with others while bringing hope and practical help through her writing.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Holiday Season is Here - Are You Ready?


The holidays are fast approaching…  Are you lonely at home and amongst your family?  Do you wrestle with a sadness and disconnect during a time when commercials and advertisements portray unity and happiness?  Do you begin to fantasize about having what you see around you?  What do you do with all those conflicting feelings and thoughts?

We all remember the classic Norman Rockwell painting of Thanksgiving Dinner.  It’s the quintessential portrait of an all American family gathered for a special meal and fellowship. Sometimes life doesn’t imitate art…

When you’re in an unequally yoked marriage, you will have days where you feel miserable and venerable.  You’ll feel isolated and out-of-sorts. We all can recall times when we’ve just felt alone…

Sometimes my spiritual sensitivity would kick-in and my husband’s choice of TV or movies would offend me.  Other times I found myself trying to avoid spending time with him.  I would be frustrated as I attempted to plan and schedule events around his likes and dislikes.  When church related socials came up – I cringed at the thought of asking him to attend.  I longed to share spiritual things with him and talk about the Lord… I know you’ve been there too.  One thing is certain:  we can’t become resentful.


Below is a brief excerpt from my book Mission Possible – Chapter 4 – Painful Reality



There unfortunately are things that you begin to dislike about him [your husband].  We are to '"love the sinner, but hate the sin."  There were times I had to pray, "Lord, give me a desire for my husband... help me to love him with Your love, because I don't like him very much right now."  Remember, you have to "take every thought captive, unto the obedience of Christ" (II Corinthians 10:5).  Give it to God and then you will have peace.  Isaiah 3:26 says, "You will keep him [her] in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.""Let not your heart be troubled..." (John 14:1).  You will have peace when you give these struggles to God, and let Him keep them.


When I catch myself thinking thoughts of despair or wallowing in self pity – I look up and acknowledge to God that I need help – fast!  What does He reveal to me in my moments of sorrow and helplessness?

  •  He reminds me that Hollywood and advertisers would have me believe that every day is to be filled with roses and smiles and dreams come true.
  •  He reminds me that I have a loving and devoted husband, even though he has not yet given his life to Christ yet.
  •  He reminds me that feelings last for a season, but commitment is everlasting.
  •   He reminds me that I tend to look at other marriages through “rose-colored glasses”.
  •  He reminds me that nothing affects His love for me – not even my doubt.

When David was ruthlessly pursued by King Saul, he found solace and peace in God.  David wrote Psalm 27 during that time and verses 13-14 express his faith in God: “I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!”

The Apostle Paul struggled with a “thorn” in the flesh that kept him humble and under God’s authority.  We often have a painful road to walk in our unequally-yoked marriage. God will give us the grace to persevere.  As He did with Paul, so He says to us, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness” (II Corinthians 12:9).

Take a fresh inventory of your blessings and face the holidays with a renewed vigor and confidence, knowing that your Heavenly Father delights in you.








Deborah is the author of a Christian non-fiction book titled “Mission Possible”.  It is written for women who love the Lord Jesus, but their spouse doesn’t share their passion.  It will encourage and challenge the reader to embrace God’s promises for their spouse and future together. 



Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. Great reminder, Deborah.

    The holidays tend to remind us of what we wish we had. As a marketer, I cringe at the commercialization of Thanksgiving and Christmas--many times at the expense of the true meaning of these introspective holidays.

    We can definitely get in a mindset of comparison--or worse, unrealistic expectations of what we think the holidays should be like. It helps me to live in the moment, to step back, and to take in the many blessings of God.

    If I need time by myself, then I give myself that freedom too.

    In all, God reminds me that life is full of seasons. And the seasons for what I might desire most could be right around the corner. In the meantime, I enjoy this season and wait expectantly for the season to come.

    Blessings, dear sister.
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Daphne - indeed we are in seasons of our lives that bring honor to God and build character. Great insight you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the same boat, and struggle with the same issues. Yet, I know I am where God wants me to be. And yes, too many think life should be perfect around the holidays and set themselves up for great disappointment. Better to take things as they are, and let God handle what you can't, as you so eloquently stated.

    Psalm 27:13-14 has sustained me and offered hope during some of the backest moments of my life. Great post, Deborah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your sweet words of encouragement Cecilia :)
    Each year is different and God gives us grace for each season - Amen?
    Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails