About The Author

My photo

Daughter of the King - born from above in 1989.

Deborah grew up in a military family and moved to Florida in the early 1970's.  She began her journey of creative writing soon after coming to know Jesus as her personal Savior. Her primary goal is to share her personal testimony with others while bringing hope and practical help through her writing.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Enter My Rest

God is my shepherd! I don't need a thing. You have bedded me down in lush meadows; you find me quiet pools to drink from. True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction. Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I'm not afraid when you walk at my side. Your trusty shepherd's crook makes me feel secure.  You serve me a six-course dinner right in front of my enemies. you revive my drooping head; my cut brims with blessings. Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life. I'm back home in the house of God for the rest of my life.   Psalm 23 (The Message) 

God has a way of  "pulling us away" to a place of rest and restoration.  Sometimes it is by invitation, or by His divine appointment.  Other times it is through His grace and coercion. When the weight of the world is pressing down and a sense of heaviness invades your soul, steal away time to refresh yourself.  Go for a walk, take in nature's wonders, and reflect on your heavenly Father's love and care for you.  Take a few moments to separate yourself from others and read His Word, delving into the Psalms and the gospel of John, His love letter to us.  Discover God's powerful presence and attributes as you meditate on His Goodness.

King David often petitioned God in the Psalms to give him courage, strength and rest.  In Psalm 37:7 he tells us "Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him...". 

The prophet Jeremiah quoted the LORD Himself: "Stand in the ways and see, and ask for the old paths, where the good way is, and walk in it; then you will find rest for your souls." (Jeremiah 6:16)

Jesus spoke to the crowds that were pressing in all around Him and comforted them with these words, "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)

The apostle Paul tells his Hebrew audience, "For we who have believed do enter that rest... There remains therefore a rest for the people of God." (Hebrews 4:3, 9)

In the book of Revelation, John writes down what the voice from heaven spoke to him: "Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on...that they may rest from their labors, and their works follow them." (Revelation 14:13)

Below is a poem I wrote in the spring of 2003.  May it bless you and speak to you.

                                         
                                                 
                                                   

     Enter My Rest...

Family and workloads, deadlines and tests,
weary and tired, surely hard pressed;
other's demands and schedules left
weighing on shoulders meant for much less.
Daughter of Mine...enter My Rest.

Steep is the path of life's daily trek -
hard is the road that leads to His best.
Often no thanks or kindness is shown,
only a sharp reply they confess.
Daughter of Mine...enter My Rest.

Lay aside weights and all heaviness,
leaving behind the hurt and the pain.
Let me restore what value is left.
Come...pull away - be free and be blessed.
Daughter of Mine...enter My Rest.

DL McCarragher - April 2003

"Oh, that I had wings like a dove!  For then I would
fly away and be at rest."  (Psalm 55:6)


Life comes at us hard and fast... be sure to slow down and refresh your soul.  A moment of rest can make all the difference to you and those around you.  Rest in the Lord today!



Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. "Kathryn,
    I'd love to have you add my button "Deb's Blog" with my logo on your Blog Roll.
    Deborah McCarragher
    God Mission Possible"

    I just wanted to let you know that I did add you! I am sorry that I forgot, there were so many I could not remember who. Sorry it took so long as well! Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails